The goal for the afternoon/evening was to finish the sheathing.. and I made it! As usual, the first piece took forever, and then it was smooth sailing after that. There were a few moments when I really could have used an extra hand, but I was able to put the tools away before it got dark, so I really can’t complain. The next step is the finish the blocking at the top where there will be a joint in the plywood.. and then i can start on the rafters. If all goes well, that will happen this weekend. It is supposed to rain tomorrow ( Friday ) and we have a tech rehearsal at school on Saturday, so I wont’ be able to tackle this next phase till Saturday afternoon or Sunday.. but Sunday is supposed to be a nice day. so look out! 🙂
the orchard is looking pretty nice about this time.. we are keeping our fingers crossed that the weather is kind the next 5 weeks or so.. My wife and I talked this morning about some decisions.. like a source of heat. If it is at all feasible, we would like to go the route of installing a small wood stove…Our thinking is that we will really be using the house a lot during the fall.. not so much during the winter.. so maybe we don’t need to keep it heated all winter.. we also decided to install a sky light in the loft area. I think that will add a nice touch, and with a pitch of 12/9 , i think that the likelihood of leaks will be minimal..
the next big decision will be how we finish off the exterior.. I have been considering a whole range of ideas from board and batten, to vertical T&G pine, to a novelty siding.. just about time to figure that one out!